Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Time to grow up?

I am the uncle to 9 of the greatest kids in the world. Each has their own tastes, ideas, thought processes, fears hopes and dreams. They are so very unique. Each has a spot in my heart. I try not to play favorites to them, and I hope I am just in my treatment. It is hard to treat all of them as nice as the youngest Larsen, Clancy. He doesn't ever back talk and he loves to be around me. Of course, he is not yet 2 and cannot talk and he just wants to be put to sleep.
The point of all of this is that I have been the only single member of my family for 8 years. They are starting to look at me funny. Granted I am only 23. But some in my family are worried. Their worry is perhaps well-founded as I consistently make choices that seem immature and frivolous. I often choose to throw my money at steers, chasing the dream of making a little money in the rodeo world. I also do things at a whim that none of them can do. I jump in my truck and go places just to look at something I haven't seen before. Some call this Peter Pan Complex.
I would like to tell you I am NOT Peter Pan! I am taking advantage of a what I would call a great situation. You see, it lies in my theory of life: "Families are eternal. But you can only rope for so long..." Trust me, one day I will grow up. I plan on it. I am making choices, albeit behind the scenes, that are "big people choices." I am going to graduate from college soon. I am preparing to enter law school. I am taking a couple of financial risks that I hope will pay off, and none of them involve cards, horses or pyramid schemes. I am working on creating relationships that will be lasting and prove fruitful one day, not only in marriage, but by keeping friends close that will one day aid me in becoming the man I believe that I am destine to become. That is another one of the mottos I live by: "It ain't what you know, it's who you know." That has a deeper meaning than just what is on the surface. Think of the scripture that tells you what eternal life is.
Anyhow, lemme tell all of you thanks for keeping tabs on me and what is going on. Truth be told, I think things are just ducky. One day it'll all work out. Until then I just need to be patient.
Its' okay, huh?

No comments: