Monday, May 04, 2009

The Importance of Listening and Remembering

Often what I write on this blog is just me blowing off steam and making light of things. Today is not one of those days. Today is a bit more serious. Today is about listening and remembering.
Remember is probably one of the most important words in the English language and most definitely one of the most important in the Book of Mormon. Remembering is so vital to staying true to the faith and honest. One who remembers can reflect on things learned prior to the moment of need. If you remember where you came from and Whose you are, it is easier to live righteously.
Listening is important. Listening is more than just hearing. It is paying attention to what is being communicated. Communication can come from others or from the Holy Ghost. It is important to hear those words and then act on what is being said.
Today I had the opportunity to talk to Grandpa D. I miss him dearly. I grew up with Grandpa. Mom and Dad would drop me off and I would tag along with Grandpa all day. We had frequent trips to Milner, to town and good fishing trips. One of my favorite memories is when we rode the Oregon Trail together, Grandpa driving Freckles and Rainbow and me riding Tiny. What a time. I remember helping him around the house and in his shop. I love that shop and the smells of it.
Our conversation today was different, and I wish I would have said less and listened more. Usually we joke together and laugh a lot. Today, he seemed serious. Today, Grandpa was sharper in his speech than I have heard him in a long time. He asked me if there was anything I wanted to know from an older brain. He told me how much he loves me and that many people love me. He said that I need to stop trying and just do good. He also told me that he expects big things from me. He asked about Olivia and told me to tell her how much she is loved. He also told me that I would need to tell the baby how much he is loved by all of his family. He said he has finally got his head on straight, I told him it was about time, he said it was about time for me to do the same.
I wish I could have talked to him longer. I wish I could be there. I miss my grandpa. I have said this before, but I know that it is true: All that I am I owe to my family. Grandpa has been a huge part of my life. He and I have spent countless hours talking about life and how things are. He taught me how to serve the family and what it means to have good relationships with all the family. He used to tell me when I would depart from his home: "McCord, be a good boy!" I hope I can remember and listen to that advice.

No comments: